Thursday, January 19, 2017

1/19 Never Forget

Let me tell you all a little bit about my best friend Kayla.

We met when she was 20 and I was 31.  Despite the age difference, we were both at points in our lives where we were focused on trying to discover who we were.  As far as we were concerned, we both started out at level one and helped shape each other into the characters that we are today.

When we first met, we clicked like that.  We became roommates six months after meeting each other and stayed together through multiple living situations over the next three years.  She's basically a co-star of mine in almost every anecdote about my life that occurred between 2011-2014 - and we did a lot of things in those years!  We've been through some extremely high highs and low lows together; at no point do I ever worry about running out of material to write about.

It's been heavily rumored for some time now that the two of us share a brain.

We both credit a lot of our personal growth to our friendship, having shared pretty much everything with each other.  She toughened me up, while I metaphorically softened her around the edges.  I consider myself a fairly confident person - pretty much all of that came from Kayla's influence.  She taught me how to stand up for myself, and that there's no need to worry about every single person liking me, and that I need to be willing to hold myself accountable for the problems in my life.

Plus, we make each other laugh.  Like, a ton.  Of all my friends, Kayla by far holds the record for times I have been laughing so hard with someone else that I couldn't breathe.  That definitely counts for something.

Kayla could take the worst-looking room imaginable and make it look awesome.

It's been about a year since we left Boston and moved out west.  We left Boston on our own separate journeys roughly a month apart from each other.  She ended up in Seattle and met a new boyfriend who I really like.  Each of the places Cody and I lived (Forks and McMinnville) are about a four or five hour drive away, making it a lot tougher to see each other than it used to be.  

The contrast between "seeing Kayla every day" and "seeing her a few times per year" is one of the tougher parts about being out west.The reality is that we'll probably never be as present in each other's lives as we were in the years that we lived together.  We shared the World's Tiniest Bedroom at Six Eleanor for almost nine months and probably aren't going to top that.  

But even without the physical proximity to teach other, I feel like we have a mutual understanding that we're going to be there for each other for the rest of our lives.  We can't see each other as often as we used to, but it just means we'll appreciate the nights we do get a little bit more.

It would be really really hard to top this night, but we're going to have lots of years as friends to keep trying.

So Happy Birthday to Kayla!  I have nothing but the utmost faith that you're going to crush it in 2017  <4

No comments:

Post a Comment